Photos

Common Areas

The Elizabeth Thorn Room (Green Room)

Elizabeth Catherine Masser fell in love with and married Mr. Peter Thorn on September 1st, 1855. Her husband took on the job as the first Superintendent of the town’s cemetery, called The Evergreen Cemetery. Along with the positions salary of $150 a year, the couple and her parents, moved into the Cemetery Gatehouse. Wen the battle was over, she and her father buried more than 100 soldiers while she was six months pregnant at the time. At Evergreen Cemetery, there is a statue depicting Elizabeth Thorn gently cradling her unborn child.

The Elizabeth Thorn room, often referred to as the “Green Room” for its soft,comforting sage green walls, offers the guests a private powder room and a queen size bed. The room is located on the second floor towards the front of the building, facing historic Baltimore Street, where President Lincoln marched towards the cemetery to give his address.

The Salome Myers Room

 Salome “Sallie” Myers was the oldest daughter of Peter and Hannah Sheads.  Mr. Sheads was a cabinet maker, served as Justice of the Peace and also a Judge of Elections. Salome, Sallie by family and some friends, had just turned twenty-one and was a local public school teacher when the war began in 1861.  Sally had family members that served in the army for both sides.  When the battle of Gettysburg took place during July of 1863, Sallie and her sisters took names of Union Soldiers captured during the retreat through the town so that she and her sisters could write to their families and tell them they were captured.

The Salome Myers room, “pink room” is a cozy room for two located on the second floor and faces Historic Baltimore Street where President Lincoln marched towards the National Soldiers Cemetery on November 19, 1863 to give his Gettysburg Address.  The Salome Myers room has a queen size bed with a lovely floral quilt that has lovely shades of reds and pinks to compliment the room and a private powder room.

The Tillie Pierce Room

The Tillie Pierce room is named after the young lady who lived here with her parents, Mr.  & Mrs. James Pierce.  At the time of the battle, Matilda J. “Tillie” Pierce was only 15 years old and had a sister named Margaret and two brothers, William and James, who were both serving in the Union army.  Tillie left her parents’ home with their neighbor, Mrs. Shriver and her two daughters, to the home of Mrs. Shriver’s parents.  They feared staying in town due to the Confederates all about town.  Tillie, Mrs. Shriver and her daughters witnessed the battle at the Weikert farm and Tillie helped with the basic nursing needs to soldiers that were injured, and also brought water to the soldiers.  Tillie did not return home until July 7th.   Twenty five years later, Tillie, now married to Mr. Horace Alleman, wrote a book titled, “At Gettysburg, or What a Girl Saw and Heard of the Battle”.

The Tillie room, also called the yellow room for its soft hued, uplifting yellow walls that complement the lavender and soft yellow floral quilt that adorns the queen size bed of the room of our namesake. This room is just right for two people to enjoy a nice cozy, relaxing getaway and is located on the side of the building overlooking tree lined Breckenridge Street.  Guests who stay in this lovely room also have the convenience of their own private power room.

The Hettie Shriver Room

The Hettie Shriver room is named after our closest neighbor, Mrs. Henrietta Weikert Shriver.  At the time of the battle, Mrs. Shriver was alone with her 2 young daughters, as her husband was away serving in the Union Army.  She asked Mr. and Mrs. Pierce if she could take their daughter Matilda “Tillie”, with her and her daughters to her parent’s home (the Weikert Farm), located out along Emmitsburg Road.  Unfortunately Mrs. Shriver had not known that their experience there would prove to be more frightening.

The Hettie Shriver room, commonly called amongst our regular guests as the “blue room”, because of the sophisticated blue color of the walls and the lovely blue wedding ring quilt on the queen size bed.  This room is the first room to your right at the top of the staircase.  Guests can enjoy television, their own private powder room and this room can also allow for a third person by the use of a roll away twin bed.

The Lydia Leister Suite

The Lydia Leister Suite is named for Lydia Leister who lived with her children in a two room on a nine acre farm.  Lydia and her children left their home and took safety on Baltimore Pike till the battle ended.  Her little two room house played an important role during the battle as it was secured by Major General George Meade, Commander of the Army of the Potomac, who used it as his headquarters where he met with his officers to the night of July 2nd, 1863.  

The suite is a lovely room with soft creamy toned wall that help to highlight its lovely blue and white gingham and floral quilt atop the queen size bed and is located on the second floor of the house, towards the back of the building and it overlooking our garden area.  The suite has a private powder room and a cozy sitting area with a sofa and a television and overlooks our garden area. .  This sofa can also pull out to be a single bed, making this suite available to accommodate three people.

The Fannie Buehler Grand Suite

This suite is named after a local woman that lived here in the town of Gettysburg named Mrs. Fannie J Guyon Buehler.  She and her husband, Mr. David Buehler Esq., a lawyer, lived across from the historic Adams County Courthouse.

The Fannie Buehler Grand Suite is a private and lovely room that is situated towards the rear of the building with access to our garden area.  This room has a King size bed, a sitting are with a television plus a sofa which can pull down to allow for 1 or 2 people.  It also has a private hallway, powder room and a small dinette area equipped with a microwave and small room refrigerator for our guests to have some privacy to enjoy some snacks, drinks or even to play some games.  This dinette area also has access to a side exit door for these guests to Breckenridge Street.